Volley Talk Etiquette Mar 9, 2007 18:24:28 GMT -5
Post by Odin on Mar 9, 2007 18:24:28 GMT -5
Volley Talk's success has created some interesting contributions, discussions, and conflicts over the years. I'd like to remind you, the contributors and the lurkers of some of the posting rules and behavior. Your cooperation with these principles have made Volley Talk a successful outlet for volleyball enthusiasts world-wide.
1. What posting behavior is allowed and not allowed on this board?
You should adhere to the Terms and Conditions which you should have read when you registered (or were thinking about registering) a username. Generally speaking, illegal, inflammatory, invasion of privacy, and otherwise destructive posts are not allowed. As a moderator, I am generally lenient. However, please don't get carried away with your all-consuming passion for volleyball that you end up destroying a little bit of the spirit of your fellow man.
2. What are the consequences of "bad" behavior?
Worst case, official authorities will track you down, fine you, and/or put you in jail. Best case scenario, you won't get caught. Somewhere in between, I will ban you and/or make an example of you somehow. But really, I'm not a bad guy.
Read a post carefully before you complain to me. If someone you hate posted something controversial, that doesn't make it bad. If someone you like posted something controversial, that doesn't make it good. Read the post, not the individual who posted.
General Posting Etiquette
1. Stay on topic
2. Respond only to the content of the message, NOT the deliverer of the message
3. Replies of a general "I agree" or "I disagree" nature are not constructive and do not advance the dicussion.
4. Quote only the pertinent parts of a message you are responding to & not the entire message. This makes it easier for others to follow and read.
5. Other rules below:
Who is responsible? You or the moderator?
Although Odin moderates the forums, it is not possible for Odin to respond to every post or question. Posts titled, “FORUM ADMIN…” and the like are not an effective way to communicate with the moderator. It’s best to ask your question directly via IM or email and title it accordingly.
From time to time, there may be announcements made. Please read the announcements at the top of the forums before posting. I placed these here to help save time for you and others. Please take a few moments and read over these.
Material that is knowingly defamatory, illegal, abusive threatening or harassing is strictly prohibited. As with anything, please use good common sense when posting. Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted.
Right to Privacy
You will not violate a person’s privacy by publishing information that is private and personal against another member’s will, including name, address, telephone number, account numbers, or anything that can reasonably argued as "personal."
Posts containing such material will be deleted accordingly.
Posts containing material that is sexually or otherwise obscene is not permitted on these forums. Posts containing such material will be deleted.
What should I do if I see objectionable content on the forums?
Due to the real-time nature of the forums, the moderator cannot monitor all the content of posted messages and rely on members to inform them of objectionable material. To report a post, please IM me immediately. Please keep in mind that I cannot always respond immediately to such notices and a period of time may pass before action is taken.
What happens if I break the rules?
At best your post will be edited by me and you will be issued a warning. If your offense is more serious, your post will be deleted or locked. Posting, “why was my posted deleted…” will only make matters worse, so please refrain from that.
If you have been already issued a warning(s), you will be issued a temporary ban. Your posting privileges will be disabled for 3-4 days (minimum), but you will still be able to view the forums as a guest.
The accounts of persistent & deliberate rule-breakers will be deleted. This means you are no longer welcome on the forums and your account will not work. If you re-register, your new account will be deleted immediately.
- This forum is visited from people all over the world of different ages, genders, religions, ethnicity, etc. and each are entitled to their own opinions, so please be civil and courteous.
- Please make sure your post topic best fits the forums you are posting in. This is for your benefit such that you get the best possible response to your post.
- Please use the search function before posting particularly if the question is problem-oriented. Most technical questions have been answered before.
- Read the announcement/sticky threads at the top of each forum.