2011-2012 Jobs Thread May 21, 2012 16:25:58 GMT -5
Post by kungfupanda on May 21, 2012 16:25:58 GMT -5
my two cents:
- 1 full time assistant - beats 0, definitely not as good as 2. But having one to take some of the workload makes the situation winnable (maybe not the top of the conference, but winnable).
- if the school is gorgeous in an amazing location, IMHO, it makes it even easier to recruit to. You don't need a big budget to recruit when you live in a great area. It's easier, but not necessary. You use all the online recruiting services that are out there, invite kids to come see what you've got and go from there - pretty easy formula actually.
- the recruiting budget can't be too bad - he's got five International kids on the roster....you can't bring in internationals without full rides (ok, maybe the young lady from Canada is the exception)
- So, if these are the factors involved, clearly there are things we don't know about...i.e. administrators that stand in the way, facilities that are untenable - definitely things we can't see on the suface
- Wish Jody the best of luck in finding a new gig - there are still a few out there - clearly he was able to win at one point in his career, odds are he needs the right fit to be able to do so again.
1. Yes 1 beats having 0, but when you are in a conference where you have the same workload as schools that have a full staff then it does matter. You can't say well at least he has one, he should have one in that conference, that is expected. It is just as expected as it is to have the head coach be full time.
2.Have you seen the kids that are on the recruiting services? no disrespect but the top good talent isn't on the recruiting services, it is out at the tournaments being seen by the coaches. You have to go out on the road to see the talent to invite them to come on campus. If it was as easy as look at the recruiting services and invite them then don't you think that all the schools would just do that?
3. I don't think he is going to watch the international kids, those are the ones that he uses the recruiting services for. If you are going to use a recruiting service, why not get better international kids?
4. I don't think you have coached college to understand what a very limited recruiting budget can do to your program. You can't go to many big tournaments, you can't by the needed software to look at kids, and etc.