Post by tenfootline on Jul 18, 2012 14:41:07 GMT -5
OK, looking for some advice out there.....
My daughter will be a junior in HS this year and is being recruited by several D1 schools. Some larger than others. She has offers from five schools currently and is now facing "deadlines" from those schools (understandably) but is waiting to see if her dream school will offer her. She has visited this school several times and there is an interest on their behalf. They have said they are in a wait and see situation based on how their needs look once their season starts up.
Does anyone have a silver bullet to offer us in terms of advice? I know we are not alone and this is common but it seems pretty heavy for a 16 year old to have to deal with before her junior year.
Not a silver bullet, here are some thoughts. Have your daughter rank the five schools who have offered by the institution itself and by its vb program. Then make a comparison according to what she's looking for in college. Be forthright, have your daughter ask her dream school whether they are interested enough to make an offer. If not it may help her move on. Seems like her dream school might be looking at other athletes, she may not be at the top of their list. She can't sign an NLI till November of her senior year so keep looking. Keep her options open, offers don't always come through. Good luck.
Last Edit: Jul 18, 2012 15:34:58 GMT -5 by leftout
I wouldnt let deadlines intimidate you. If they want her they will take her, deadline or not. You have to be totally up front about everyhthing though. She could give a verbal and tell them that the only way she wouldnt honor it is if "dream school" becomes reality.
Post by baywatcher on Jul 18, 2012 15:59:20 GMT -5
I'm not a coach, not even an experienced parent, so I would take what I say with a huge bucket of salt. But I know schools have an A list, and B list, etc. and it sounds like DD is on the B list for her favorite school. So even if she gets offered, have to make a realistic assessment of playing possibilities and balance v. the school. Maybe go to an outside source you trust who wouldn't be afraid to hurt your DD feelings by evaluating her v. others at her position, or in turn could give her legitimate cause for optimism.
Other thing, if she's just starting junior year waiting might be a good idea. There are numerous early commits that are changing their mind, it could happen at the school she wants to go to. Can't count on it, but any delay is an opportunity to get more info. Things change.
I never thought much of schools using bully tactics.
I've heard more stories of players who transfer and when you ask "how did you end up there in the first place?" and they say something like "Well, I wasn't sure, and then they only gave me a week, and I didn't know if anyone else would make an offer, so I took it."
I don't think you need to "rank" schools. I think its a yes or no question. Do you think you'll get what you want from that school? So long as you have 1 yes on the table, you can wait for Prince Charming to call.
Post by c4ndlelight on Jul 18, 2012 23:12:29 GMT -5
Don't play the waiting game. If they're not ready to pull the trigger now, they probably won't be later.
Go to your dream school and say "Hey. You are my dream school, but my 2nd choice has an offer with an expiration date of ___. I'm really counting on a scholarship to be able to attend and continue my VB career in college. I would prefer to play with you, but can you please let me know what your interest level is at? If you can't make an offer by deadline XX, I will have to commit to School B."
Note: You can't backtrack from this, so be firm about it.
Many times a coach can't "wait" while a PSA prays her dream school comes calling... They have an allotted monies for each class and need to fill those positions... If they wait then then they could lose all of their top choices!
Post by katiefromhaiti on Jul 19, 2012 13:06:40 GMT -5
Interesting scenario - managing offers & deadlines. The Dream school is probably waiting on THEIR top pick to meet their own deadline. If that top picks says "no", maybe the Dream School will go on down their list til this player's name comes up. Or maybe not.
Coaches cannot afford to wait forever, or their 2nd choice kids will take other offers and leave the coach hanging if & when the top pick says "no". . Clearly this kid is a back up for the Dream School's first choice. The offers she have MAY wait if she gives them a clear date when she may be ready (Oct 1, or Nov 15 or whatever). Or they may feel they need to move on themselves if their own 2nd choice kids are getting antsy & have deadlines of their own. Quite a domino effect.
Unfortunately recruiting has really evolved to where most schools have verbal commits at least two classes out. It's kind of like the arms race-coaches have to put deadlines out, because if they don't they lose players, and if they are too late they may get down to their 5th choice... Pretty dangerous to not take an offer that is out there- and as several posters pointed out, if she has not had a firm offer from dream school she is probably on their B list. It is also really nice to be wanted... Go with the school that best fits her needs and has offered... don't waste a $100,000 opportunity by waiting too long...
Post by NotKingOfAnything on Jul 19, 2012 15:11:29 GMT -5
In DD's situation (D3, but hey it's still important to her) she has offers to play from 3 of her top 5 schools, with her dream school indicating they will decide in August. The schools involved are not aware of "why" we are waiting, but the truth anyway is that she first needs to visit classes at the school she commits to regardless if it is her dream school or a runner-up.
I'm OK with her committing to the dream school without a classroom visit though, they are kinda locally famous academically.