Pretty nice crowd yesterday for Michigan's only home match of the spring against Eastern Michigan at the Crisler Center. Typical rusty play from both teams for a spring scrimmage that featured the debut of both Erin Virtue at the helm for Blue and Kevin Foeman in just just his third week on the job at EMU. Some notes:
- Michigan won 3-1 (25-11; 21-25; 25-20; 25-19)
- The A team for Michigan was Jacobs/Simmons; Nyambio/Boney; Murray; Johnson and Grant.
- Everyone saw the floor, with Humphries and Cuchran swapping in at libero during sets 2 and 3
- Unlike Rosen, Virtue coaches from the end line, standing near the players
- Grant was the best player on the floor for both sides, flying all over the place digging balls and covering tips. She was playing with purpose and the team struggled when she sat out.
- Johnson set the entire match for Blue, she appeared healthy for the first time in a long time but her placement was inconsistent
- All of the OH's struggled passing. Eastern went on huge runs when Murray and Jacobs were in the back row without Grant
- Boney looked solid; Nyambio is still a work in progress; it was nice to see Simmons play but she did not have a good connection with Johnson
This spring squad is not going to look anything near what will likely be on the floor in the fall. The team is desperate for a 6-ro OH, maybe Vaulet is the answer. Burke will get a chance at setter. But 2024 is shaping up to be a rough year of transition. Go Blue!